The Dangers of Head-on Auto Accidents
Car accidents can range from minor fender benders to serious head-on collisions. While head-on auto accidents generally make up the smallest percentage of accidents, they usually have the highest fatality rates. At McKinley, Conger, Jolley & Galarneau, LLP, LLP, our attorneys can represent the victims of these serious and dangerous collisions when they happen in or around Stockton, CA. They offer clients personalized attention and can assist in the filing of a personal injury or wrongful death claim against the negligent driver.
What Causes Head-on Auto Accidents?
There are many potential causes for these serious accidents, including:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI): Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is one of the leading causes of head-on collisions.
- Distracted Driving: Texting or talking on a cell phone while driving has proven to be as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Passing on Two-lane Roads: Generally, there are clear markers that tell motorists when it is safe to pass other vehicles. Sometimes people do not abide by those markers, however. Passing on a two-lane road can be dangerous if the passing driver’s view is obstructed.
- Poor Signage: Whether a sign is obstructed due to overgrown trees or there is a lack of signs, this is another leading cause of accidents, especially when one-way streets are not clearly marked.
- Reckless Driving: Drivers who change lanes rapidly without using their blinker, when speeding, and failing to pay attention to the surrounding conditions can cause a serious accident.
- Road Conditions: Debris, potholes, and other poor road conditions can lead to accidents as drivers swerve around hazards.
- Drowsiness: Fatigued drivers can be just as dangerous as drunk drivers.
Why Are Head-on Collisions So Dangerous?
When you think of a head-on collision, you probably think of two vehicles hitting each other head-on. In reality, those types of collisions are just a fraction of head-on auto accidents. Many other head-on accidents involve a vehicle and a static object, like light poles or trees.
The force of the impact, especially when one or both vehicles are traveling at higher speeds, can lead to serious damage. Most victims in head-on collisions suffer severe, life-threatening injuries such as brain or spinal cord injuries. Drivers who fail to wear their seatbelt have an extremely high risk of ejection in these types of accidents, increasing the risk of sustaining fatal injuries.
Why Is Legal Counsel Important?
The medical expenses associated with the injuries from a head-on collision can be high. Additionally, these types of injuries often require more complex medical treatments, which only adds to the expenses. To ensure these medical expenses and other economic losses are covered, you need an experienced attorney. At McKinley, Conger, Jolley & Galarneau, LLP, LLP, we will aggressively pursue compensation to ease your financial burden during this difficult time.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you or a loved one was severely injured in a head-on auto accident, contact our law firm today to schedule a consultation.